Many people find way cracking and ripping DVDs to VOB format, hoping to save the time hunting for favorite movie among tons of discs, but then they have problems with the VOB clips – the main movie is divided into a set of .VOB files rather than one big file. Moreover, the VOB will neither play in Windows Media Player nor by iPad or Android tablet. Even now with Windows 8 tablet, playing VOB is still a problem. For example, the Microsoft’s Surface RT tablet does not play .vob files at all.
Suppose you’re a Surface RT user, and would like to put some .vob videos to the Surface RT tablet for watching, here’s a workaround. Other than ripping a DVD to a set of .VOB files, you can also convert the entire DVD into one .MP4 file, which is naturally supported by all Windows 8 tablets. If you have .vob clips in the original file structure, you can load the folder to Pavtube DVD Ripper and convert them into MP4 – the software will read DVD structure and combine all the VOB streams into one file in the proper order.
Step-by-step Guide: Converting DVD/VOB folder to Windows 8 tablet (Microsoft Surface RT)
1. Click “Load DVD” to import movies from DVD-ROM to Pavtube DVD Ripper.
2. Select main movie.
3. Click “Format” bar and select "Windows > Microsoft Surface Windows RT H.264 Video (*.mp4)" profile from the drop-down list of Format bar. This format is specialized for both Microsoft Surface RT and other Windows 8 tablets, which guarantee fluent and perfect video playback on Surface RT.
4. Press the big Convert button to start ripping DVD to Microsoft Surface Windows RT video.
5. When conversion completes, click “Open” to locate the DRM-free movies. Now you’re ready to transfer movies to Microsoft Surface Windows RT slab for watching on board or wherever you like.
Some Tips in DVD/VOB conversion
1. When ripping DVD to Microsoft Surface Windows RT video you can have the subtitles hardcoded to the screen (Windows 8 tablets do not play idx/sub subtitles). Just select desired language from drop-down box of “Subtitle” box.
2. You can click “Settings” button to set advanced settings before conversion starts. Once you click the button, the Settings window shows up, where you are allowed to adjust video and audio parameters in your own ways, include codec name, aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate, and audio channel. The recommended video settings for Windows 8 Surface RT:
Size (pix): 1366*768
Bitrate (kbps): 2500
Frame Rate (fps): original
Sample Rate (hz): 44100
If you prefer a smaller file size, set bit rate up to get better video quality and it will looks better on screen. Do remember to click “OK” button to confirm your selection before you start converting VOB to Microsoft Surface RT.
3. If you also want to convert MKV/MPG/TiVo and even 1080p Blu-ray movies onto Microsoft Surface RT, get money-saving bundle Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate.