Most of the movies you buy on DVD and Blu-ray now include a bonus stand-alone Digital Copy disc. Digital copy comes with a copy of the movie you can put on a single computer once, and from there, view it on your PC's screen or portable media players like iPad, iPhone, Xbox 360, Zune HD, etc. To enjoy digital copy movies on iPad 3, you need to download/transfer digital copy to iTunes library, and then sync the movie to iPad 3 with iTunes. Follow the instructions below to watch on the insert inside of your box to redeem your Digital Copy using the disc or the web site.
Part 1. Download/Redeem/Transfer Digital Copy movies to iTunes 11
Get the latest iTunes 11 installed so as to import an iTunes-compatible version of the movie to your Mac or PC.
To add your Digital Copy to iTunes 11:
1. Insert the Digital Copy disc into your computer’s DVD drive. If it has iTunes Digital Copy, the iTunes will open up the page for you to redeem your digital copy.
2. Input the serial number from the DVD in the box and click the "Redeem" button.
3. When the dialog box asking for it appears, enter your Apple ID and password.
4. Go to the Downloads selection in the Store list to track the download process. Once it's finished downloading, you can open the video from the "Movies" selection in the Library list.
5. When the movie is finished importing, click the Eject button to eject the digital copy disc.
Part 2. Sync digital copy movies to iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch via iTunes
Unlike the original DVD/Blu-ray Disc movie, digital copy is encoded at much lower bitrate and thus takes less storage (usually 1-2GB), so you don’t need to compress the movie for new iPad. Just sync the movie to iPad from iTunes movie library.
To sync iPad with iTunes 11 (the latest version of iTunes):
Step 1. Connect iPad 4/new iPad with your computer using the cable that came with your device. In the upper right hand corner you will see your iPad touch appear. Click on the name of your device.
Step 2. You will be taken to the summary screen. From here you can see a list of tabs along the top. Click on the Movie tab for the digital copy movie you'd like to sync to your iPad.
Step 3. Make sure the “Sync Movies” checkbox is checked and select the digital copy movie you'd like to sync.
Step 4. Click the Apply button in the lower right hand corner after you're done selecting all your media.
Troubleshooting and Tips
1. If you get a dialogue box that says "Some of the items in the iTunes library were not copied to the iPad because you are not authorized for them on this computer", make sure you have logged in on your iPad with the same Apple ID account as on your computer. Check Apple ID under settings > Store on your iPad.
2. When you’re unable to transfer/sync digital copies of movies to iPad 4/new iPad/iPad 2 but can’t get it work with the above method, it's likely that the problem isn’t iTunes itself but the DRM on the movie file. And to resolve that you'll need to deal with the DVDs manufacturer, or get a third-party DRM Remover app that strips DRM and turn digital copy into free videos.
3. You may also rip Blu-rays & DVDs to iTunes video for syncing to iPad/iPhone when digital copy does not work anyway.
4. To enrich your iTunes library, you can also convert unsupported MKV, AVI, MPG to iTunes and even.